College Media Association Film Festival is designed to encourage and promote excellence in student video work, through giving awards and showing examples of top-notch projects in several categories:
Non-fiction videos 3-10 minutes in length
Non-fiction video 10-30 minutes in length
Short films under 7 minutes in length
Video News Package
A short news, sports or feature package designed for broadcast or web distribution. Maximum length: 120 seconds.
Promotional video for the 2017 Fall Convention to be held in Dallas, created onsite, between 30-60 seconds. Entrants are encouraged to use this resource from the Dallas Convention and Visitors Bureau, and incorporate footage and/or stills with footage from the 2016 convention.
All work must be completely produced by college students, and all videos must have been completed after Sept. 1, 2015. For the promotional video, you must be a paid registrant at the Fall Convention. For the creative and documentary films and video news package, attendance at the convention is encouraged but not required.
For documentary and creative films and video news package: Oct. 5, 2016 at midnight.
Promotional video deadline: Friday, Oct. 28, between 11-noon at a booth next to the registration table, via flash drive or hard drive
All entries, including the promotional video, must be accompanied by a $20 entry fee. Promotional videos must be submitted in person via flash drive or hard drive from 11 a.m. to noon Friday Oct. 28 next to the registration booth. All other submissions must be turned in via Google Drive:
- Use an existing Gmail account or set up a new one
- Create a folder with your name and entry type (ex: SmithLongDoc).
- Upload your file to the folder
- Send an invitation to share your folder with firstname.lastname@example.org
All submissions must be
- Smaller than 5 GB
- File type .mov, .mp4 or .m4v
By uploading/submitting your files, you agree to the following:
- The video may be shown at the Film Festival Screening at the convention
- The video may be uploaded to the CMA film festival website for others to see
- The promotional video may be used by CMA in various venues and on the web
- All the work was completed by students
- The video was completed between Sept. 1, 2015 and Oct. 28, 2016.
Film Festival Screening
The winners will be announced and winning films will be shown during the convention. The top three winners in each category will be given a plaque/trophy. Each of the winning entries will be shown in their entirety, except for the long documentary, which will have the first 5 minutes shown.